TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

my boyfriend and i were living in an apartment- his name was

my boyfriend and i were living in an apartment- his name was on the lease and i was listed on the lease as an occupant. We lived there for 2 years the first year I signed the lease. The 2nd year when we renewed the lease i did not sign it however i was still listed as an occupant. We both recieved an eviction notice seperately- can i be held accountable? It states that they are suing us because my boyfriend didnt pay the last months rent?- if i did not sign the lease the 2nd year am i responsible
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

No, I am happy to say that if you did not sign the lease, then that means you are not personally liable to pay the rent. By signing the lease, the tenant promises to pay the rent and agrees that he is liable. Accordingly, if you did not sign, then you did not promise anything and cannot be held accountable.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To VAMD" in the subject line of your question.