Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor

I am on the BOD for our association and we are doing compliance

I am on the BOD for our association and we are doing compliance in the subdivision here in Nevada. NRS 116.31031 tells us that we can fine up to 100.00 per instance and up to 1,000.00 collectively. Our management company is fining owners 50.00 per violation and what appears to be an unlimited amount for continuing violations. Can we do that?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The statute allows fines of up to $100 per violation, so a $50 fine would be fine. However, the manager cannot charge $50 per day indefinitely, because he can't exceed $1,000 total. Any amounts charged over $1,000 would not be collectible.

With that said, those limits don't include interest and collection costs. So, it may be possible to obtain more than $1,000 if a homeowner doesn't pay, as long as the fines themselves do not exceed $1,000 for a given violation.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.