RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

Is it still possible to sell a house without having a real

Is it still possible to sell a house without having a real estate agent?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. The first thing you likely want to do is re-read the listing agreement that you signed with the agent and see if there is any term and condition which would entitled them to a commission for bringing you a buyer in a situation like this or if a period of time can pass, before you are no longer obligated to them. The reason I say this, is because if the agent were to find out that you sold the home to a buyer who they found, they could sue you for the commission that would have been earned. It is certainly possible to sell the home without an agent but the question will be if this agent will find out about it and go after you. If you proceed with the sale, which you can, be prepared for the agent to see the sale and contact you, if they are still monitoring the home.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Unfortunately, he WILL find out as he is very local. We can't find our copy of the agreement (we are between 3 houses... very confusing!). If we get another agent to help us complete the sale, will we have to pay TWO commissions? Is it possible for a layperson to complete all the obligations of a sale without an agent, and is there a recommended resource for same?

If you want to proceed on your own, I would suggest consulting with an attorney, so he/she can review the contract and assist in the closing process. As far as going with another Realtor, it could result in a possible shared commission and cause additional problems, since I am willing to bet the agreement you signed, was exclusive.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If there is a time period within which we are still obligated to the agent, does that mean that we can't close within that period, or that we can't take ANY action (contracts, inspections etc) towards the sale of the house?

It really depends on the language of the contract. I would be inclined to believe that it is very protective of them, so the language in it would entitle them to the commission if the sale/buyer was a result of their efforts.