How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 30868
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello- I am in a business in which I and my partner are

This answer was rated:


I am in a business in which I and my partner are co-owners of a duplex located out of the state we live in. Each of us owns 1/2 the building in our separate LLCs.
We have been trying to lease the entire building to one tenant for their employees, however, changes to the local market have created competition which has made our unit the less desirable option. I have tried to reason with my partner that we should reduce the rent to get tenants into the building, which has been sitting empty for the last 3 months. She claims that I cannot rent my half to whoever I need to--that she owns "half the roof and foundation" under my part. Since the unit is a duplex with separate entrances, can she prevent me from renting to cover my holding costs? This situation is having huge impact on my finaces and I am in danger of losing not only my investment in the project, but my personal home and assets, as well.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney. Thanks for using JA! I'll be glad to assist.

One question - - do each of your LLC's own 1 duplex, or is the ownership 50/50 between your LLC's for the entire building?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We had a verbal agreement to purchase the building and bought it together. It was not spelled out that we each own 1 duplex, that we each own half of the building. I paid for my half separately with funds from my LLC, wired to the seller and she did the same. I also pay half the utilities and rent separate from my partner.

Ok. Thanks for the information.

If there is no written ownership interest spelled out that says 1 duplex is yours and one is your partner's, then you cannot rent one of the duplex's without consent of the other owner. This is so because each of you own a 1/2 interest in the entire building, but since there's no agreement on what 50% belongs to each, there's no legal way to say who owns what space/square footage.

In order to move on without the partner, you Joe have to file a partition lawsuit against your partner and ask the judge to divide the building equitably. The result would likely be that each of you end up with one duplex, but until a court orders it, it's just speculation.

Thus, if you can't get along with the partner or agree on how to operate, the only way to forcibly recover your interest and proceed alone is to file the partition suit.

Thanks for allowing me to assist you, and if you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is also a problem with title to the building, which is a modular. I paid 100% of what was owed to the seller for my half of the building, plus delivery and setup fees. My partner did not have the funds to pay the remaining $4700 balance and made an agreement with the seller to pay it to when the building was rented. Then she inspected the building and found things she was not satisfied with and is using that as an excuse to not pay the remaining balance due. Because of this the seller is withholding title, which I have requested through an attorney, however the seller is not responding. So I don't even have title. Without title, can I file a petition suit? Taxes have been paid and building permits filed on the building.

Thanks for the information.

No, if you don't have title to the property, then you can't file a partition lawsuit. Also, as a practical matter, you can't rent it either - - because you don't own it.

One possibility is for the seller to cancel the contract based on the other buyer's failure to pay. In that case, the seller could just sell the entire place to you, or maybe work out a deal to find another buyer to go in with you. OR, the seller could file suit for specific performance, which is a request for the buyer to fulfill his/her end of the contract and pay up.

Another possibility is to see if the seller will sell you one duplex and offer the other for sale. That would get you were you want to be as well.

The main thing is that the seller has the right to cancel the contract if the buyer hasn't performed, so your best option is to try and cooperate with the seller and see if a deal can be reached between the two of you to get what you want given the breach by the other buyer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It sounds like my partner needs to pay the contractor so that we can move on. A final question: the Purchase Agreement and Delivery and Setup agreements were separate agreements. My partner is claiming she does not need to pay the final payment in the Delivery and Setup agreement because she was not satisfied with the quality of the work performed. My stance is that the entire amount must be paid, and if my partner has issues with the workmanship, that must be addressed with the contractor afterwards, perhaps through a court claim. What are your thoughts? Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX your advice.

Yes, the simplest solution would be if your partner would pay up and allow you to move on. Maybe that will happen.

As for the workmanship claims, it is legally possible for your partner to withhold payment for the delivery and setup and demand the issues to be remedied before paying the balance. However, this agreement should not hold up the title being issued if that's a different contract.

As for the claim, in order to have a legitimate complaint, your partner would need to have specifications promised and proof of how the product delivered fails to comply with those specifications. Your partner can't likely make a successful claim that she didn't get what she expected - - instead, the claim would have to be based on actual proof that the property didn't meet the specifications.

If your partner can make this claim, it can be something addressed before closing the deal on the delivery and setup, but that should be a separate issue from the purchase.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have proof in the form of photos and documentation of their web advertising that the product promised was not what was


Have a great rest of your day!

Ok. If you didn't get what you paid for, then you certainly have legal grounds to complain and sue.

Thanks for allowing me to assist and please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 30868
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Roger and 5 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You're most welcome.

Please let me know if you need anything further.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
  • Dimitry Esquire's Avatar

    Dimitry Esquire


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
  • Ray's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Texas Attorney for 29 years dealing in real estate
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.