Law Pro, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years extensive experience in real estate law, foreclosure, finance, and landlord tenant law.
11688690

My husband had a mortgage on a modular home in Fl. He has passed

My husband had a mortgage on a modular home in Fl. He has passed away. I have been paying the loan and lot rent for 2 yrs I can no longer afford to pay am I responsible for those debts now or can I walk away?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

Sorry for your situation.

Was his estate ever probated? If so, who was the personal representative?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No

Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.
OK I didn't want you to be indirectly responsible nor liable for anything if his estate was probated and you were the personal representative.

If you didn't co-sign the mortgage or note - you have no personal liability for the debt whatsoever.

Now you may be liable for the rent if you signed the lease. If you didn't sign the lease then give them 30 days notice that you are vacating and leave.

But you have no personal liability whatsoever and can walk away.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

If you have any questions, about this or anything else, please ask for me, Law Pro, directly in the question and I will try to assist you as best I can.

For example, you would state, "This question is for Law Pro . . . (then on with your question).
Law Pro, Lawyer
Experience: 20 years extensive experience in real estate law, foreclosure, finance, and landlord tenant law.