How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KimberlyLaw Your Own Question
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4218
Experience:  13 years of experience in real estate law: Foreclosures, Landlord-Tenant, Condo/Coop, Property Law, Deeds, Purchases/Sales, Estates.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
KimberlyLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi As of today dated 07/29/2013, I had a survey of my property

This answer was rated:

As of today dated 07/29/2013, I had a survey of my property and found that the Edge made of Solid Stones had been constructed by my neighbor with an encroachment of 7-8 Inch from property line into my backyard.
Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

Ok, so what you need to decide now is what you want to accomplish. Obviously you have the right to have your neighbor alter the stones so that they do not infringe upon your property. 7-8 inches is a lot in my opinion.

The risk in asking him not to move it is that once you are aware of this, the neighbor could acquire a legal interest in that section of your property if it remains like that for a number of years.

So, if you ask him to remove it you may have a fight on your hands with your neighbor. If you don't ask, then you could have a more serious legal fight in the future. Either way, I suggest getting the neighbor to agree peacefully instead of sending a legal letter. I would just discuss this in person first and see what he says.

Let me know if you have any questions about my answer.
KimberlyLaw and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you