Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  28 years of experience in general practice, real estate law and estate law.

We are being victimized over a petty matter by our condo association.

Customer Question

We are being victimized over a petty matter by our condo association. We have been told to remove magnetic signs from our vehicle as, according to condo rules, they cannot be displayed 'overnight'. No times are specified in the rules, the term 'Overnight' is all that is used. We have obeyed these rules by removing the signs in the evening and putting them back on in the morning. This evening a warning notice was placed on our vehicle at 7.44PM. We found it when we went to remove the signs at 8.05PM. When we challenged the security officer he informed us that he had been instructed to 'sticker' us when ever he saw them on the vehicle and that the next time the car would be towed. As no times are specified and clearly, we are not breaking the rules, what is our position legally?
Websters Dictionary defines the term 'overnight' as through the evening into the next day so would would assume it means past midnight.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I agree with you there needs to be a specific period of time that defines "overnight" This is open to interpretation. Do you get to have a hearing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not really. They are a Nazi like organization who take no notice of anything and make up the rules as they go along.

You are entitled to due process for any alleged violations of Condominium Rules and Regulations. Florida Statutes Section 718.303 (3) holds that the association must meet minimum due process requirements. You need to be given a specific time period that the rule is in effect. Overnight could be defined as sunset to sunrise or from 8:00 PM to 8:00 AM, that being said, it must be specified.

The Division of Florida Condominiums, Timeshares, and Mobile Homes provides information on handling issues with your association.

You can also file a complaint with the Attorney General for the State of Florida at

Please feel free to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.