Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Hi, i am going to but townhome in Ashburn VA, it has a walk

Customer Question

Hi, i am going to but townhome in Ashburn VA, it has a walk level basement which has a separate entrance, this enternace is a sliding door. I want to rent but i am not sure if it is legal or not.So i think of signing a roommate agreement with a tenant to rent him the basement ? is this legal ? in this case how would the agreement look like ? and can i put a stove top in the basement ?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

Attorney2 :

Hello and thank you for your question.

Customer :

Hello

Attorney2 :

Do you have an associaiton

Customer :

do u mean HOA ?

Attorney2 :

Yes HOA

Customer :

yes i do

Attorney2 :

Do you know if the bylaws will allow you to rent part of your home?

Customer :

what is the bylaws ?

Attorney2 :

An HOA has a set of bylaws that are the rules and regulations that govern the HOA

Customer :

i don't know, how can i get this ?

Attorney2 :

You should have been provided a copy when you purchased the home. Do you pay dies?

Attorney2 :

sorry "dues"

Customer :

i didn't purchase the home yet, i will purchase it and i want to know about the possibility of renting the basemenet before purchasing it

Attorney2 :

Just make sure the rules and regulations do not restrict who can live in your home.

Customer :

how will i know before buying it, that's why i am asking

Attorney2 :

You need to ask the HOA for a copy of their rules. Let them know you are considering purchasing the property. Some HOA's post the rules and regulations on line. What is the name of the Association?

Customer :

Broadlands South in Ashburn VA

Customer :

i couldn't find it online

Attorney2 :

Let me check.

Customer :

i mean find their rules online

Customer :

ok

Attorney2 :

I see that they have a site and I am not seeing the rules.

Customer :

yes, so let's assume the worst case, if they have a rule banning renting the basement

Customer :

can i still have a room mate agreement with someone and let him stay in the basement ?

Attorney2 :

If you are aware that you could have an issue with the HOA, yes you can rent the basement.

Customer :

i don't get it

Customer :

if i have an issue i can rent, what do u mean ?

Attorney2 :

If the association does not allow you to rent than you would be violating the rules. If they allow you to rent you are good to go.

Customer :

but if they don't allow me, will the room mate agreement still be considered violation ?

Attorney2 :

When you live in a community that is under an HOA they make the rules. That is why I was asking you for information on the bylaws. There is no violation in the city for having a roommate.

Customer :

u mean in the city of Ashburn ?

Attorney2 :

Correct.

Customer :

good, if the HOA says you can not rent a basement, this means that i can;t have a lease agreement with someone, this is understood. But in this case if i sign a room mate agreement with someone saying he will be staying with me, is this considered a rent ? a violation ?

Attorney2 :

A rent violation by the city?

Customer :

1. by the city - 2. by HOA

Attorney2 :

We would need to see the bylaws to see if this would be an HOA violation. I do not see why having a roommate would be a rent violation in the city?

Customer :

ok, if it is HOA violation, what will be the consequence ? is it a crime ? will i go to jail ? pay a fine ? what will happen ?

Attorney2 :

The association can charge you fines. No you would not go to jail. It is merely a violation of the rules.

Customer :

and won't give me a criminal record or something ?

Attorney2 :

No. Just check out their rules and see if they have any restrictions on guests, renters etc.

Attorney2 :

HOA's can be very demanding.

Customer :

ok, so u said in Ashburn the room mate agreement is fine

Customer :

but in Ashbutn, is renting a basement OK ? i ask about renting not room mate agreement ?

Attorney2 :

I do not see any prohibition to a roommate agreement.

Customer :

what about renting (not room mate agreement) ?

Customer :

renting the basement ?

Attorney2 :

It is legal to rent out part of your home. The only thorn would be the HOA and hopefully they are fine with it too.

Customer :

ok i see

Customer :

what about adding a stove top to the basement ?

Attorney2 :

No kitchen in the basement. If this would be a fire hazard.

Attorney2 :

You would check that with the city and they most likely agree that the sliding glass door make the arrangement safe.

Customer :

ok, how would the room mate agreement look like ? i found templatesz online but they are between two room mates who are both renting from a landlord. In my case i am the landlord and i just want to bring a room mate in, so do u have a template for that ?

Attorney2 :

You would use a standard lease. Let me provide you with templates.

Customer :

ok

Customer :

if i get the HOA rules tomorrow, can i send them to you ?

Attorney2 :

Please do. I want to make sure you are good to go.

Customer :

so can u give me an email address ? how will i sent it to you ?

Attorney2 :

You would email it to experts@pearl.com

Attorney2 :

reference this question http://www.justanswer.com/real-estate-law/7whru-hi-going-townhome-ashburn-va-walk.html

Attorney2 :

and tell them you are working with Attorney2. Hang on a moment I have templates for you.

Customer :

ok

Customer :

hanks

Attorney2 :

You are most welcome.

Attorney2 :

Thank you for using JA!

Customer :

ok, thanks

Attorney2 :

I am sorry that you were unhappy with my service

Attorney2 :

Did you have any additional questions for me?

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.