LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.

I live in Ohio I own a condo in Oakland County Michigan, Without

Customer Question

I live in Ohio I own a condo in Oakland County Michigan, Without my knowledge the homeowners, Condominium Association foreclosed on my condo because association dues were not paid. Redemption. Was until July 8 I did not find out until July 24 HELP. My condo is worth 155,000 and they supposedly sold it for 6000. I need to keep my home how can this be my [email protected]
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.

Good afternoon Dwane,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under MI law, you have a short redemption period after the foreclosure sale of your condo in which to pay all back fees, interest and legal expenses. If you do not redeem your property in that time, the buyer of the condo will own it.

The redemption period for a foreclosure is 6 months from the date of sale unless the property is abandoned, in which event the redemption period is 1 month from the date of sale. If your property was vacant, it will likely be considered to have been abandoned, leaving you precious little time in which to redeem the property.

Here is an article on the redemption process in MI. I would STRONGLY suggest that you retain a local real estate attorney there in the county the property is located in to assist you in this redemption. Your property is at stake.

I wish you the best in 2013.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

You may reply back to me using the Reply to Expert link if you have additional questions.

Kindly take a moment to rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided. Please understand that I have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation.

Thank you,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.
Good evening Dwane ,

I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer to you was helpful to your understanding of the law, as regards your question.

Is there anything else that I can assist you with, please feel free to ask. If you do not require further legal information at this time, please feel free to bookmark my profile so you can request me when you do have another question. Here is a link to my profile:

Thank you very much and take care.