Law Pro, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years extensive experience in real estate law, foreclosure, finance, and landlord tenant law.
11688690

My son recently moved in to an aprtment complex in Kentucky.

My son recently moved in to an aprtment complex in Kentucky. He signed 1 year lease. After moving in he noticed that there is water leak from the air conditioning unit in the apartment - it had soaked the entire carpet. In addtion he could not receive internet and cable - the cable company checked the connections and advsied him that there was an issue with internal wiring of the apartment. Both complaints were made to the apartment complex management. However for nearly 2.5 weeks no one came to fix the problem despite repeated reminders. Finally when the apartment technician came, he made a temporary patch on the aircon unit and advsied them that the intenal cable issue will take some time to be fixed. After a few days the aircon has started leaking again.
A new complaint has been made but still there is no repairs completd nor has the techmnician visited the apartment.
Can he cancel the lease of the apartment due to all these persisting issues?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

Sorry for your son's troubles.

Is the internet a necessity for him - like for work or school or something?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes he is working part time and also attending school.

Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.
Then he can most certainly void or cancel the lease based upon that was of utmost importance in his selection of an apartment to rent and they are not providing such. In fact, it would appear that it's an impossibility for them to provide such currently.

If the fact that they were/are to provide internet services and can't - that alone is a legal reason and basis for him to declare the lease void and notice them that he's vacating.

That he would not have rented the apartment "but for" the ability to have and the landlord to supply internet services.

That is a major deficiency which allows him to declare the lease canceled and/or breached by the landlord.

I would have him take pictures of the apartment before he leaves to CYA in case they want to charge him for the carpeting, the water damages, etc.

But, yes most definitely he can void the lease.

Now if the internet was incidental he would only be able to get reduction - not void the lease. For example a grandmother leasing the space when it's not a needed service could not void the lease but get reduction of rent.

Your son, on the other hand can void the lease.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

If you have any questions, about this or anything else, please ask for me, Law Pro, directly in the question and I will try to assist you as best I can.

For example, you would state, "This question is for Law Pro . . . (then on with your question).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your quick resposne.

The apartment complex does not supply internet service. Internet and cable is provided by external provider like Comcast. But due to a fault in internal wiring of the apartment, Comcast is unable to provide internet - it reaches upto the apartment but does not get distributed inside due to internal wiring issues.

Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.
OK, I understand.

But due to a fault in internal wiring of the apartment, Comcast is unable to provide internet - it reaches upto the apartment but does not get distributed inside due to internal wiring issues.

That is still a basis to void the lease - if he would have known and been made aware of the problem he would NEVER HAVE ENTERED THE LEASE.

So still a basis upon which to void the lease agreement - they never disclosed that internet couldn't be supplied because of their problems with wiring.

That also concerns me - if the wiring is causing that problem - just how safe is the apartment otherwise?? Is it a fire hazard or what??? A serious threat to his health, safety, and welfare??

He can still void the lease because he can't get internet service, they never informed him otherwise, that it's imperative that he be able to receive internet, he wouldn't have rented if disclosed or known, AND the wiring may be a serious threat to his safety.

Notice them that he's voiding the lease and vacating. They have no argument.

However, he should get it in writing from the internet provider why they can't provide internet services to CYA if the matter would go to court.

Law Pro, Lawyer
Experience: 20 years extensive experience in real estate law, foreclosure, finance, and landlord tenant law.
Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.