Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor

i am leasing acondo to 18 year olds, if they get intoxicated

i am leasing acondo to 18 year olds, if they get intoxicated and hurt themselves on the property can i be held resposible, could they sue me?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If there is a condition on the property that you are aware of, and that leads to injury, then they could sue. For example, if there are broken steps on the porch and they trip, even when drunk, they could sue if you knew that the steps presented a danger to them. They cannot sue you for their own illegal behavior, which you are not able to control, unless there is evidence that you were providing them with alcohol or otherwise assisting or encouraging them. A tenant cannot sue a landlord just for injuring himself on the landlord's property, unless there is evidence that the landlord somehow did something wrong. A property isn't automatically liable for all injuries that occur on his property.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you this is helpful.

The unit does not have any broken items in it that could cause or contibute to an injury but there is a balcony. The balcony was redone by the association a couple of years ago and is complety safe, being that it is outside it is the associations responsibilty to maintain. The only way one could get hurt is climbing on top of the railing. I am assuming this would not cause any risk for me either but just want to make sure.

If you have reason to believe that the balcony is unsafe, there's an obligation to make it safe. But if the only thing that makes it unsafe is the fact that it's a balcony, you wouldn't be responsible if someone hurt themselves by doing things that they aren't supposed to be doing.