Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience in general practice, real estate law and estate law.
68197583

i had sewer line problem. Arlington county contractor broken

i had sewer line problem. Arlington county contractor broken my sewer line while they bury cable underground. i got money for repair house from my insurance and cable company repaired my sewer line but there was about $ 4000 i spent for find out the problem (plumber . temporary repair, repair which insurance did not cover, not include my lost income from work)
i sent him a bill but he did not pay
he was saying my builder who installed sewer did not have all the permit so he did not know there was sewer line. so it was not his fault. but my builder only missed right a way permit.
1. how do i claim rest of money ( what else i can claim)
2. is there any way i can claim to Arlington county
3. can provide letter for demanding the bill
thank you
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good morning.My sympathy here for your dilemma and situation.

RayAnswers :

You can file suit here against the contractor in small claims.Your argument here is that you did nothing wrong and that contractor was the cause of your damages.You can sue here for up to $5k yourself in small claims for your harm.

RayAnswers :

You may also consider adding the builder to any such suit.It is very possible that once you file such a suit they parties agree to pay for your losses.It appears both may be liable for all of this.

RayAnswers :

Reference.

RayAnswers :

More..

RayAnswers :

If either one of these parties here is a corporation you will need to locate their agent for service of process to serve the corporation properly.You can locate them here.

RayAnswers :

This would be your means to seek judgment and recovery for all your losses.You may want to gather up your evidence here for small claims including a detailed log of your lost time, expenses, etc.This will support your suit at hearing on the matter.

RayAnswers :

I appreciate the chance to assist you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again and good luck here.

RayAnswers :

I hope that you will be so kind as to leave a positive rating. If you do have any additional questions about my answer please click the "Continue Conversation Link" so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive no credit for my answers.

This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information

Customer:

Kindly opt out as this question is for attorney2 only. thank you

RayAnswers :

No problem.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry I did not realize that you requested me.

You will want to file suit against the contractor you could add the builder he was saying my builder who installed sewer did not have all the permit so he did not know there was sewer line. so it was not his fault. but my builder only missed right a way permit.

2. is there any way i can claim to Arlington county I am not certain that I understand the grounds for bringing a claim against the county. Would this be in relation to the builder?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the reason i asked to sue county is county hired cable company and the cable company broke my sewer line.

i thought cable company not agree to paid it whoever hired them have a responsible to paid it. am i wrong

can you able to write to write to cable company to demand the bill?

Since the cable company did the actual damage they are the proper party to sue. You can always include the county in the action.

Unfortunately I cannot send a letter on your behalf as this would be a violation of site policy. Are you looking for language to add to your letter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Date

CERTIFIED MAIL RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED

Cable Company

Address

RE: Your Name/Property Address

To The Owner:

As you may be aware on (date) your company was burying cable under a contract with Arlington County. During this process your contractor caused a break in my sewer line. As a result of the damage to my sewer line I have incurred damages in the amount of $______. I am enclosing a copy of the invoice for the work that was performed as a result of your company’s negligence.

Please make a check payable to (your name) in the amount of $___________.

If I do not receive reimbursement for the above amount within seven (7) business days from the date of this letter, I see no alternative other than to pursue file suit against your company.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. I look forward to a speedy resolution to this matter.

Sincerely,

^

I hope that the sample I provided is helpful to you.

Please feel free to ask me any additional questions that you may have for me.

Thank you for using JA!

If you would be kind enough to rate my service I would be most appreciative.

Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience: 25 years of experience in general practice, real estate law and estate law.
Thank you very much.