N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983

what will happen if I just stop paying the maintenance fee

Customer Question

what will happen if I just stop paying the maintenance fee of my interval Wyndham Hawaii instead of selling,donate,give away things like that.
I'm a Japanese live in Japan for your information.
Is it against law? it is not affordable for me nowadays due
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 3 years ago.
It is not against the law, but eventually you could be sued by the management for all past due assessments and fees (and possibly for attorney fees if the contract provides for that). It would be better to just sell it if you no longer want it because that would end your liability for any future fees.

You have the legal power to breach a contract, but the other party would then have a legal right to sue you for breach of the contract.

I understand that this is probably not the answer you had hoped for, but it would be a disservice to you, and unprofessional of me, not to provide accurate information.

I hope this information is helpful.