Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years

When real property is owned by 2 people as joint tenants, which

When real property is owned by 2 people as joint tenants, which deed is the correct one to use when 1 joint tenant is signing the over to the other joint tenant?
Can the Quitclaim deed be used, or Gift Deed, since no money is being paid for the
joint tenancy? Or a Grant Deed?
Thank You,
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
It is safest for the person transferring the property to use a quitclaim deed because that serves to transfer their interest, but makes no guarantees or warrantys about the condition of the title. It basically says "whatever I have, whether that be 0% to 100%, I am transferring to you AS IS".
A Grant deed comes with certain guarantees as to title and that the former owner will pay to defend it if problems come up later on.
The gift deed can be used to accomplish the same thing as the quitclaim deed if there is no money being exchanged for the property.
So either quitclaim deed or gift deed (if there is no payment) would be safest for the one owner to transfer their interest.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.