TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I would like some information about property taxes. I live

I would like some information about property taxes. I live in a condo for the past 12 yrs, and I have never received a property tax bill for more $50.00. Is there something wrong?
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Do you have a mortgage? If so, then it's quite likely that the property taxes are being paid by your lender. Nowadays, lender's like to break down annual tax bills into monthly figures and add them to the mortgage payment. For example. My mortgage payment is $2000 per month. But in reality, just $1400 of it is for the mortgage, and the other $600 is for property taxes. You can find out if that's the case by contacting your lender and asking if there is an escrow account. The escrow account is where the tax money is kept by the lender until the tax bill is paid.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To VAMD" in the subject line of your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi VAMD:

I own this condo, I don't have any mortgage payments.

Hi again.

Another possibility is that your property taxes are paid by the condo association, which in turn you pay with your monthly assessments. Does that seem possible based upon the amount that you pay each month?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi:

I pay $201.00 every month. If this so, then why does my neighbor who is a senior citizen like I am, have to pay more than $1,000, why is her property tax so much more than mine? Everybody I ask nobody seems to know the answer.

Hi again.

That does seem strange. If the property taxes were paid by the condo association, then it doesn't seem that your neighbor would have a bill. Just be sure, I would ask the condo association if they pay any property taxes from the assessments.

But let's assume that's not the case. In which county in Illinois do you live? The tax records may be online. If so, then I may be able to help you review the records.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi:

My most recent property tax bill that is due 8/1/13 is $0.00. I live in Cook County. Is there any possiblity that you can send me the info. via e-mail? This is my first time on this website, so I don't know what the procedure. I need to take a break.

Hi again.

Feel free to take as long you as need. There is no reason for you to sit by the computer. You will be alerted by email each time I respond.

In Cook County, you can check your records online here: CLICK HERE. Click the link that says "Search By Property Address."

Please let me know the results of your search. But bear in mind that you need not rush. I'll be online throughout the day, so even if it's hours from now, I will eventually respond to you again.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi VAMD:

I'm back again. I searched under my own pin # and pulled up a lot of info. All of the info. I pulled up is way beyond my understanding. I noticed in 2006 I paid over $800, but since then my property tax went way down. Since I am a senior citizen I apply for all the exemptions I am qualified for, do you think that might an effect on my tax bill? Also, what about my savings would that have an effect on my tax bill? This year I became totally debt free and I am trying to build my emergency fund. Would I be considered be at the poverty level.

Hi again.

Yes, it's possible that because of various exemptions, your tax bill is quite small. However, you'll want to be sure that you didn't accidentally sign up for the Senior Citizen Real Estate Tax Deferral Program. That program defers taxes, and basically becomes a loan on the property and is repaid when you pass by selling the property. It is a good program, but not something that you would want to enroll in accidentally, since it means less for your heirs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi:

Do do I just look it up under that title on the website?

Hi again.

Are you asking if the website will indicate whether you enrolled in the Senior Citizen Real Estate Tax Deferral Program? Unfortunately, I don't know because I can't get on the website myself to see what it says (since I don't have a property address or pin). If you do not see any indication that you are enrolled in that program, then I would not assume that you are not, however, since the website may not indicate it. I would call to find out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi:

My pin # is: 09-10-XXX-XXX-XXXX

Hi again.

Unfortunately, the website doesn't allow personal identifiable information to be shared. Accordingly, the number that you provided has some across as almost all X's.