Law Pro, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years extensive experience in real estate law, foreclosure, finance, and landlord tenant law.

I would like to buy vacant land in putnam county, ny, and place

I would like to buy vacant land in putnam county, ny, and place a manufactured home on it. What kind of manufactured homes would be legal to place there?

Welcome to JustAnswer! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

Do you know where in Putnam County - what local municipality - where you want to place you manufactured home?

Just to be sure too - by your stating "manufactured home" you are talking about a "mobil home" - correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello-I would pick carmel, mahopac, or patterson, ny. It would not necessarily be a mobile home, but was more likely to be a modular home, such as can be found at American Homes. However, I would certainly be interested in learning if a mobile home could also be legally placed on a lot

OK, for each of those locations you mentioned - there are mobile home parks therein.

So, most assuredly, mobile homes can be placed there.

However, if you want to go to some specific spot, buy land there and erect a manufactured home or place a mobile home - you need to go to the municipal building and talk to the building inspector and see if there are any restrictions for that property to do such.

Each municipality has their own zoning restrictions and then within that municipality there is what is termed "spot zoning" that allows for certain structures or limits certain structures or mandates that structures must be of a certain character and size. For example - some spot zoning requires that homes be over 3,000 square feet living area, other 2,000 square feet living area.

So, although I specifically found mobil home parks and found evidence of a manufactured home or modular home - those a placed where allowed pursuant to "spot zoning" of the municipality.