Law Pro, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years extensive experience in real estate law, foreclosure, finance, and landlord tenant law.
11688690

I live in Maryland, I was served a complaint to my house on

I live in Maryland, I was served a complaint to my house on June 25th. I responded by July 24th. Today I received a judgement against me dated July 12. It said I had 30 days to respond and I did within 30 days. On the court document it said I was served on June 12, which is not true. Can I do anything about this?

Welcome to JustAnswer! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

Sorry for your situation.

But, yes, absolutely you can do something.

What you need to do is file a motion to set aside the default judgment because you weren't served till June 25th, 2013.

The motion/petition is basically:

DEFENDANT'S PETITION TO OPEN DEFAULT JUDGMENT

Petitioner CD files this petition to open a default judgment and in support thereof avers the following:
1. Plaintiff instituted this lawsuit on ______________.
2. On _________________, service was made at ________________________.
3. Pursuant to Maryland Rules of Civil Procedure, defendant has 30 days within which to file a responsive pleading.
4. On _____________________, plaintiff obtained a default judgment against defendant. The notice of the entry of this default judgment was mailed to defendant at ________________________.

WHEREFORE, defendant requests this court to open the default judgment entered in these proceedings.
--------
Attorney for Defendant

[verification -- defendant]

--------------------
ORDER OF COURT

On this -------- day of --------, 20--, it is hereby ordered that a rule is issued on plaintiff to show cause why the default judgment entered in these proceedings should not be opened. Rule is returnable within 20 days. All proceedings are stayed in the meantime.
BY THE COURT:
--------
J.

--------------------
ORDER OF COURT

On this -------- day of --------, 20--, it is hereby ordered that the rule issued in these proceedings is made absolute, that defendant's petition to open default judgment is granted, and that the default judgment entered against defendant is hereby opened.
BY THE COURT:
--------
J.

You would use the complaint as an example of the heading and court caption - which you already did when you filed your responsive pleading.

You would also mail a copy of the motion/petition to the opposing counsel to give them notice of your petition. Most often they will gladly consent to dismiss the default judgment and allow your response to filed.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

If you have any questions, about this or anything else, please ask for me, Law Pro, directly in the question and I will try to assist you as best I can.

For example, you would state, "This question is for Law Pro . . . (then on with your question).