CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.

I have a rental property in California. Son moved in lived

I have a rental property in California. Son moved in lived there long time, his son and wife (my grandson) moved in and my son now stays somewhere else, but his belongings are still in the rental and it's consideed his home. Grandson has accumulated more cats than County allows and County has served them notice to get rid of excess cats or taken to court and fined as well as me for being owner of property. Will my son who I have the rental agreement with also be liable for this and have to go to court if the cats are not gotten rid of?

Your son would not be responsible to the regulatory agencies / law enforcement in this instance.

These regulations are aimed to deter the owner of the real property (you) and the owner of the animals (your grandson), they do not usually deal with intermediaries (your son is acting as a tenant and sub lessor to the actual occupant).

This is different from the potential for civil liability - your son would be liable to you as the owner for the damages caused by the excess animals - but this is something that would be separate from the enforcement action.