KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience in real estate law: Foreclosures, Landlord-Tenant, Condo/Coop, Property Law, Deeds, Purchases/Sales, Estates.
8989662

I have a house in Florida which we rent. Is it legal to try

I have a house in Florida which we rent. Is it legal to try and have in the lease about something like a watering the yard option. For example the house is in a neighborhood where we have to follow the rules of the association which one is keeping up the yard. So if they don't water the yard enough it will die or start to die. We simply want something in the lease explaining that they need to water the yard enough to keep it green or we will have to do it for them. Or if they do kill the yard we wanted something to maybe give us a legal recourse even though with yards it would be tough.
Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

I am very shocked that a real estate agent would not change a standard lease for you. This is probably because they don't understand the law so want to protect themselves. Well, you definitely have the right to put this, and anything else, into your lease.

You just need to add a rider, or a clause in the lease somewhere, that states exactly what you want from the tenant. I would also explain this to the tenant so that they cooperate. You are also free to put in penalties if they fail to do that, but that is already implied legally if they have the obligation to maintain it. If it were to die, they would be responsible.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Kimberly