Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.

I had a property I received a line of credit on. I sold the

Customer Question

I had a property I received a line of credit on. I sold the property and the bank froze the line of credit. Which is fine I understand. What I don't understand is that for the past 5 years the bank has been making me buy home owners insurance on the property I sold and no longer own. I have called repeatedly over the years and they keep adding $2000 every year for the insurance to what I owe on the line of credit. I have told them over and over I don't own the property anymore but nothing. Why should I be paying for homeowners insurance I don't even need?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. You have no such obligation since you no longer own the property and the loan is therefore no longer secured by the property. If the bank will not reimburse you for these expenses, you should file a suit against your bank to force the issue. This will give you the leverage and collection options you seek because once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if the losing party doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on the losing party for a debtor examination. That forces the losing party to meet you in court and answer questions under oath about the losing party's assets. After that information is obtained, you actually have the power to attach bank assets to satisfy the judgment. It will never come to this, however; if you are forced to sue for your judgment, the bank will pay you before you have to attach its assets.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I can recoup those charges even though I am still paying off the line of credit. The bank has changed names in the last 2 years as well.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for following up. Just because you still owe an outstanding balance does not give the bank the legal right to add invalid and inapplicable charges to increase that balance. You have the right to sue them to get the balance reduced to eliminate these invalid charges.
Richard, Lawyer
Experience: 32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. I work hard to make sure each of my JustAnswer customers is fully satisfied. So, if there is any additional information you need, please let me know and I'll be happy to provide any additional help needed. Thanks again!