Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

I got a first mortgage from B of A. The trust deed was never

I got a first mortgage from B of A. The trust deed was never registered on title by them, and the mortgage was subsequently bought by Fannie Mae . I want to get a second, as I have alot of equity in my house a need some repairs/ remodeling done. If I get a loan now the second will attach before the first trust deed. Am I responsible to the holder of the first trust deed which was never recorded for their lack of placement against the property?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. That's not your responsibility; rather, it's the bank's responsibility to get their trust deed recorded. Since they've failed to do so, the second lienholder's lien is going to get priority over the first lienholder if the second lienholder records first. The first lienholder may very well have a cause of action against the title company, but it would not have any claim against you.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt reply! The obvious follow up question to your answer is could the current note holder execute against the property without paying off senior liens if they were not paid?

You're welcome. The liens must be paid in the order of their recorded priority. So, if the second lienholder records first, if the current note holder then were to move against the property, the second lienholder would have to get paid in full before the current lienholder would be entitled to any proceeds.
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/