LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

As I have a real estate license under my marriage name, but

As I have a real estate license under my marriage name, but my SSN is still under my previous name before married, and I pay taxes under my previous name. Now i just open LLC under my previous name, because I pay taxes through that name, so do you think it will cost problem?

Good afternoon Lily,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, you have a possibility of running into a problem. Social security will need to have a record of the name that you use with your social security number so that your social security taxes and MediCare taxes are applied to the correct account.

Because your SSAN and tax filing name are the same, your situation won't be a problem if any W-2s or 1099s that you get each year are made out to you under your previous name---but if it is not, you may have a problem in the future.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What kind problem could be in the future? Because i can not change my SSN to my marriage name for some reason.

i also just open a LLC under my previous name, not marriage name, and my EIN is also under previous name, do you think it would cost problem?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

By the way, I filing taxes are following my previous name, not marriage name.

Good afternoon Lily,

There could be a problem with your taxes not being properly credited to your social security account. There could be a delay in being able to collect your benefits while they investigate "two" people using the same social security number.

All you need to be able to change the name on your social security card, and account, it to take a certified copy of your marriage certificate to social security, and they will get you a new card in about a week.

While it is legal to open an LLC under a different name, so long as you do not intend to defraud anyone---in using two different names you can possibly confuse the government.

I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Lily. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again.

Doug

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much!