Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.

In Massachusetts, the law requires approval of 75% of the owners

In Massachusetts, the law requires approval of 75% of the owners for an "improvement" versus maintenance, but the law does not define improvement. If we replace original 30 year shingles with 50 year shingles and the difference in cost between the two alternatives is over $50,000, should that be considered to be an improvement?
Hi and Welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX will be assisting you. I am happy to help you. I understand you want to know the difference between improvement and maintenance. That of course is a factual issue (i.e., depends on the circumstances).

Here is an example that may be helpful to you:

Wooden roof shingles are damaged in a storm. Replacing the damaged shingles with new wooden shingles would be considered maintenance and repairs. The same would be true if the wooden shingles were replaced with asphalt shingles. However, upgrading the wooden shingles to a 50-year, maintenance-free roofing system would be considered an improvement.

I hope this helps you. Regards, Damien

I hope this helps you.