Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

I have acquired title to a home in Happy Valley that is being

Customer Question

I have acquired title to a home in Happy Valley that is being occupied by the former owner for a year.
How soon can I get him out and do I HAVE THE RIGHT TO ENTER THE PROPERTY AT MY WILL ?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Unfortunately, you do need to go through the legal process to avoid being accused of an illegal eviction. Even though he no longer owns the house, the former owner is legally considered an "at will" tenant even though paying nothing. Such a person is treated to be a month to month tenant. As such, you can terminate this tenancy by giving written notice of at least 30 days. If the former does not leave voluntarily, under Oregon law, you will then need to give a 10-Day Notice to Quit...meaning the former owner must vacate the premises within that period or face formal eviction. Then, if the former owner still has not left, you will have to file a petition for an eviction order. Once that is granted...you can have the sheriff evict. Unfortunately, you are not allowed to move the former owner's stuff out, change the locks, or take any other means of "self-help" eviction prior to obtaining the eviction order.

But, as owner, you do have the right to enter to inspect the premises. To do so, you must give 24 hours’ advance notice before entering your home. An exception to the 24-hour rule would be an emergency entry in which case you can enter without consent.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you could just force the former owner out immediately, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you. ………..I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard, Lawyer
Experience: 32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks,you do not surprise me.just hoping for an easier out.

john

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome....it's my pleasure to help! I wish there was a shortcut, but I wanted to make sure you didn't find yourself at the wrong end of an illegal eviction charge. :) Have a great weekend!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/