Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  14 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 24+ years
19958803

I live in a mobile home but I am moving. The park will not

I live in a mobile home but I am moving. The park will not allow us to sell the mobile home because it did not pass city inspection. We do not have a current lease on this lot or the title is not in our name.
We own the mobile home.
Can we surrender or abandon the mobile home to the park without it affecting our credit score?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
If you were to simply abandon the mobile home, then as long as you don't owe anything on it, the only way it could be noted on your credit report is if the landlord sues you for the cost of removal or demolition after you abandon it and gets a judgment against you.
.
So if you notified the park that you were abandoning it and they can do what they want with it, they might agree to accept it, make some repairs, and then rent it out.
.

.

Thanks.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it likely that they would sue us? Are they able to find out where we are if we are moving out of state? How much would the credit score be affected?
We have told the park we are moving and offered to surrender the home to them but they are trying to get rid of all older models in the park and state that we are responsible for removing it as long as it is in our name.
But, the title was never switched to our name.

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
.
Honestly, if the park is owned by a company or an individual, I would opine that it is pretty unlikely that they would sue if you just sent them a letter stating you were abandoning it. If the title is not in your name, then they would have trouble forcing you to move it since you don't legally own it.
.
This would be especially true if they had no idea where you were moving to. They would have to hire an attorney to file suit and if they can't find you, this would likely just be throwing good money after bad.
.
BotXXXXX XXXXXne is that if you were to just abandon it, I kind of doubt they would go to the time and expense of trying to sue you if they can't find you because they have to have you served with the lawsuit before they can proceed.
.

.

Thanks.

.

.

Barrister, Lawyer
Experience: 14 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 24+ years