Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

Hi, Im considering purchasing my first home in Sacramento,

Customer Question

Hi, I'm considering purchasing my first home in Sacramento, CA, and my lender is asking me whether or not I will be living in the home or if I will be renting it out. While I plan to live in the home initially, I could see myself eventually renting it out so I'd like to know what the law states for this matter.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. As long as your intent is to live in it for now, you can simply tell the lender you will be living in the home. That does not bind you to living in it forever or prohibit you from changing your mind at some point to rent it out. It's simply an issue of intent as to what your plans are when purchasing it. Generally, in order to satisfy the safe-harbor of "intent," as long as you live there for a year, the lender doesn't ever later question your original intent.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, so if I make it past the 1-year mark then there's no question. What if, for example, I get a reduction in pay in 6 months and think it would be wise to share a room at a friend's place while renting out my home, is this likely to be prosecuted? Is it fair to say that unless you default on your mortgage after making a risky investment and they can show that you never planned to live in the home, that this type of lawsuit rarely occurs?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for following up. The one-year mark is just a safe harbor. If something happens in the first year that changes your circumstances and thus your intent, that will not cause you a problem. And, you're right, these things only come up if the loan goes into default. :)
Richard, Lawyer
Experience: 32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/