Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.

Hello, I am currently about to purchase a home in Suffolk County

Hello, I am currently about to purchase a home in Suffolk County NY as a cash purchase. There will be no lenders involved in any aspect of the process. The issue is my homeowners insurance may not be ready the day of closing, but the day after. The paralegal involved with the house closing told me it is "imperative" to have my homeowners insurance paid off for a year on the day of closing. Why would she say this? Also there is no HOA. Will I have to delay closing? Thank you

Optional Information:
State relating to question: New York

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about this problem that you are having. I think the paralegal is so used to closings where a mortgage lender is involved that she is forgetting that the reason that HO insurance must be in effect on the day of closing is the lenders require it. . But in a cash sale, that is not the case, and this will have to be explained to her by her superiors. You should be able to close whenever you wish, with or without insurance in effect at the time.

I hope that this information is helpful. Please click on a smiley face so that I will be compensated for assisting you. If you have a follow up question please send me back a Reply without entering any rating. Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures. Thanks again for using Pearl.Com- Just Answer. Your business is appreciated.