Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.

I co-signed on a loan for my daughter and son-inlaw. They

I co-signed on a loan for my daughter and son-inlaw. They divorced and I wanted to be released from any obligation for the loan. It was a mobile home loan and my son inlaw and I and the lender signed a release and acknowledgement of release saying I was forever discharged from any and all contractual liability or obligation arising out of or in connection with that installment agreement or note. It was foreclosed on and now it shows up on my credit report. The lender now says they are going after me. Am I obligated to pay this loan. The legal document was executed by all three parties and notarized.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. Just to be clear, the lender signed a document releasing you from liability from the that correct? Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the lender is Green Tree and it was signed by someone whom signed their name as a supervisor. This dates back to 1997 so it was a shock to find a $25000 debt to them on my credit report.

Thanks for following up. In that case, you have absolutely no liability for this loan. Furthermore, you should demand not only that the lender drop any pursuit of you for any payment, but also that they immediately revoke and rescind all credit reports regarding any liability for this loan. Let them know if they fail to revoke and rescind any negative reports, you will be filing a defamation suit against them for both actual and punitive damages..the punitive damages because they are either acting in intentional bad faith or with gross negligence.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: