Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I just found out that the house my husband and I bought was

I just found out that the house my husband and I bought was soley in his name. He passed a year ago this month. I received the deed in my name last year when I became in charge of the estate. The mortgage payments still come in his name. My question is: am I still legally responsible for the mortgage?

Hello and welcome.

My sincere condolences on the loss of your husband.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am working on your answer now and will post it here shortly. Thank you for your patience while I prepare your answer.

Hello again, Shirley.

You would not technically be liable on the mortgage, but if you stopped making payments on the loan, the lender would typically have the right to foreclose on the property, which you would probably want to avoid. Lenders usually reserve the right to foreclose on the property securing the loan if a mortgage becomes delinquent.

Therefore, it is typically in your best interests to continue paying the mortgage and refinance the loan at some point if possible to avoid foreclosure under these circumstances.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/. I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.