Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 24+ years

Good evening; I live in West Palm Beach Florida and I

Good evening; I live in West Palm Beach Florida and I currently reside in an privately owned residence for 3 years. The first year I had a 12-month lease, after that the landlord never gave me a new lease so I've been month to month since. During my time here I had broken appliances (dishwasher soap wouldn't fully soak, washer lid had to be held down by a heavy item for it to turn on) that my landlord never fixed, I have emails from almost 2 years ago requesting for my landlord to fix it. Emails are the only way I can get a hold of him, I did talk to him once through a real estate agent since they had his number and he barely spoke any English at all. I work a 50-60 hour work week, during the emails that he provided me a number to call for someone to come and fix it, when I made appointments with those people they never showed, after awhile I just stopped caring because I don't have much time to deal with these things. Three weeks ago, my dishwasher completely broke down. My landlord said that I had to pay for the fixes and he will deduct that from my rent. At least my dishwasher is fixed now. Couple of days ago he finally sent me a letter advising that I had 30 days to agree for another 1 year lease or move out. Rent went up from $750 to $850 and I still have broken appliances. I sent him a email back stating that I will not sign a lease unless the appliances are fixed. Today he sent me an email back saying that "I must move out within 30 days". So basically my option to renew is gone. To me, this isn't fair at all. Is there anything I can do?

Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
I am sorry to hear that you are having this problem with the landlord. I am also sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news, so please don't "shoot the messenger". Under FL law (FL Statutes 83.57) either party can terminate a month to month lease with only a 15 day notice and no reason is required.
.
Although it was unfair of the landlord to withdraw the option to renew, if you hadn't accepted the offer, then legally he could do so.
.
At this point, there would be no way you could legally force the landlord to continue the tenancy if he has made his mind up that he wants to end the relationship.
.

I am sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers, even when an answer is not favorable to the customer.

.

.

.

Thanks.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Barrister, Lawyer
Experience: 13 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 24+ years