Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  14 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 24+ years

I have a judgement against me in small claims court. I processed

I have a judgement against me in small claims court. I processed a Motion to Vacate and have a hearing this week. The plaintiff and I have a settlement that we are currently negotiating. The plaintiff is willing to dismiss the judgement when we go to court.
What will the plaintiff need to do or say for the judge to agree to dismiss the judgement and is it with or without prejudice?

Thank you
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
What is the legal basis for your motion to vacate?
.
Do you anticipate having reached an agreement prior to your court date?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was not given notice of the hearing date. There was a document filed with the court by the plaintiff by one of his friends who signed the document with the date and time her served me, but I never saw him or received anything. I learned of the hearing when I received the Judgement in the mail 3 weeks after the date they said I was served.

We are currently negotiating an agreement and it will be completed prior to the court date.

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then invalid service of process is a legitimate ground for a judge to set aside a judgment. I just wanted to make sure that you weren't trying to set it aside just because you had worked something out with the plaintiff as most times judges won't allow that.
.
If the plaintiff doesn't have any problem with the judge granting your motion to set aside the judgment, then all he has to do is say is that he has no objection to your motion and agrees that the judgment should be vacated.
.
Once the judgment is vacated, it just backs up the case to the pre-judgment status where in order to move forward, the plaintiff would then have to ask to have a trial date scheduled. If you have settled the case, then on the same day your motion to set aside the judgment is hear, the plaintiff can also make an oral motion to dismiss the case.
.
So the order would be 1. Make motion to vacate judgment, plantiff says no objection. 2. Judgment is vacated by judge. 3. Plaintiff makes oral motion to dismiss entire case due to settlement. 4. Judge should dismiss as settled and not that in the court records.
.
If he notes the case as settled, then it would be with prejudice and the plaintiff would be barred from bringing the case up again due to "res judicata" (a matter already judged).
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Should I bring documents proving my side of the case to court in the event the judge will not agree to dismiss the judgement or will there be no possibility of the judge denying the dismissal as long as the plaintiff requests it?

Do we need to have the settlement agreement for the judge to view at that time?

Does the plaintiff need to have a Request for Dismissal Form CIV-110 or will the judge dismiss with plaintiff's request only?

Thank you

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
.
As a matter of being ultra cautious, I would have all my evidence with me to prove my case on the off chance that the plaintiff changes their mind for some reason. Better safe than sorry.
.
But yes, if the plaintiff states that they have no objection to your motion, the judge will grant it.
.

.

The judge might want to see a written settlement agreement so he can enter it in the court record as part of the case. Some do, some are happy just to mark the case settled and dismissed. But once again, it is better to have it with you just in case. You can't be too prepared.

.

.

If he was filing it in advance, he would need to file the form, but if he is making the motion orally, the judge will either note it on the case file or will complete one right then in court and put it in the case file.

.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

Barrister, Lawyer
Experience: 14 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 24+ years