Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

I received a quit claim deed in the mail from my neighbor thats

I received a quit claim deed in the mail from my neighbor that's developing land around my house. In the quit claim deed he gave me a 1 foot piece of land north of my land where he will be building a public sidewalk. I believe his intention is that I own it therefore I will have to take car of the sidewalk and the land on the other side of the sidewalk to the street. What I would like to know is how do I refuse this quit claim deed and keep the property in his name unless him and and I can negotiate some sort of deal.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Did he reserve the right to build a sidewalk on the property as part of the deed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

he has built a public street there and has not built the sidewalk yet but plans to within a couple of weeks. The quit claim deeds only gives me 1 foot of land up to where the sidewalk will be built. The only reason he is doing this, is that way he doesnt have to take care of it!

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Well, the reason I asked is that, if you own the land, he's not allowed to build a sidewalk there. It's your land, and he would be trespassing if he tried to enter. The deed would specifically have to allow him to build the sidewalk.

Either way, though, a person cannot just dump land on someone else without that person's consent. You have the option of letting him know, in writing, that you do not want the property, that you refuse to accept it, and that you never agreed to the transfer. You may also want to consider calling to see if he will tell you his purpose in doing this, which could help you determine the next step.

If the deed has been recorded, it may be necessary to have a local attorney help get the deed reversed, or get a court order that he must pay the maintenance fees. You could also try to write a paper stating that you refuse to accept the transfer, you did not give any consideration for the property, you do not want the property, there was never any agreement between you, and are not the legal owner of the property, then file that with the county. But you may still wind up in court.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: JA Mentor