Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I bought a country store in 2011 with gasoline tanks and pumps.

I bought a country store in 2011 with gasoline tanks and pumps. The previous owner failed to get a NC Dept of Natural Resources inspection that was due in 2010. The DENR inspector showed up after the sale was completed and made me have the tanks physically inspected, then tested by another company which costed me $8900. I contend because he failed to comply with governmental regulations he is responsible for the cost.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The general premise in these cases is that if the contract specified it was as is, then it is up to the buyer to beware and conduct due diligence in inspecting the property prior to sale. However, where the contract for sale specifies that they claim that inspections and permits and licenses are valid, this is something the seller is warranting to you and if the inspection was not valid then he has breached that warranty and that contract with you, even though the sale might be an as is sale.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.