ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed General Practice Attorney, Texas
19487448

Can HOA board members meet in secret and make changes to the

Can HOA board members meet in secret and make changes to the bylaws?

ScottyMacESQ :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacESQ :

No, they cannot do that. These are called "executive sessions" (but can be referred to by other names, such as "workshops", etc...)

ScottyMacESQ :

In short, these are allowed only in a few situations, such as investigative meetings, meetings to consider confidential material, legal matters, and personnel matters. Bylaws that will be adopted have to be put forward via notice, open meeting, and vote.

ScottyMacESQ :

Otherwise, any bylaw at that meeting would be subject to rescission in court.

ScottyMacESQ :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!

Customer:

I don't see your answer, only disclaimer

Customer:

Thank you. I got it.

ScottyMacESQ :

To be clear, you did receive the answer?

ScottyMacESQ :

If so, my pleasure. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate this answer either a 3, 4, or 5 (good or better). Please note that I do not get any credit for this answer unless and until you rate it that way. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!