Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

The agreement ( verbal) was that she would purchase the fixer

The agreement ( verbal) was that she would purchase the fixer up for her son & we would fixed the house & she would put it in our name or his after 2yrs. We could sell it for profit or live in it. Once I started asking for paperwork as the 2yrs. were nearing she decided she was going to sell and not pay us back. We have email's and many witness to the verbal agreement. I also have all receipts and work invoices paid out. Is there anything I can do? Or is there anything her son can do since he did most of the labor. She paid for nothing and will be making money

Generally, agreements to sell or gift real estate must be in writing. Regardless of witnesses her agreement to give him the home in two years might be unenforceable in court. However, there is a legal cause of action called "unjust enrichment" where he could sue her for the value of his labor and materials cost.

I hope that this information is helpful. Please click on a smiley face so that I will be compensated for assisting you. If you have a follow up question please send me back a Reply without entering any rating. Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures. Thanks again for using Pearl.Com- Just Answer. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What type of attorney should he seek for the unjust enrichment? Would this be a small claims issue?

Any lawyer who handles civil lawsuits generally would be able to handle it. if the suit is for $10,000 or less, check with your local small claims court to see what type of case you can file there and for how much. He could handle it himself in small claims court.