Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

A township in Kalkaska County, MI obtained from the State Of

A township in Kalkaska County, MI obtained from the State Of Michigan several platted roads which end at a lake many years ago. The township is no longer interested in maintaining these road ends and are interested in selling them, either to adjoining landowners or to the highest bidder. Many are unbuildable due to high water table issues. However, some of these unimproved roads are used lightly by people with backlots that do not own lake front property. Can the township sell these parcels, possibly through the circuit court? Thank you.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Ownership of the properties are in the name of the Township? Who has authority to act on behalf of the Township?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The ownership is in the name of the township and it is governed by a board of directors.

I see. Thank you for clarifying that, Jeff.

You would not typically need a court order to sell the parcels since the properties are titled in the name of the Township. The BOD would normally have the ability to approve such a sale to the local residents in order to effect a transfer of ownership of the properties.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Hello again Jeff, I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer was helpful in clarifying your understanding of the law even though it may not have resulted in the outcome you were hoping it would. Is there anything else I can assist you with? If you do not require further legal information at this time, please feel free to bookmark my profile so you can request me when you do have another question. Here is a link to my profile: Thank you very much and all the best to you. Tina