Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

Tina, no category related to mortgages so perhaps you can help.

Tina, no category related to mortgages so perhaps you can help. I am applying for short sale with CitiMortgage which holds my second mortgager. Citi is asking me for lots of documentation. I asked why do they need all of it and they said because you have PMI on the property. I said I do not have PMI which is why I opted for a second mortgage back in 2006. Her response was that it says clearly on her paperwork that I have PMI and there is no way it can be wrong. How ridiculous is that. Here is my question:

1. Using my original closing and loan papers from 2006, what should I be looking for to prove I do not have PMI. I explained that none of my statements on which I had been paying for 8 years listed or itemized and PMI payments. Again, her response was that Citi paperwork shows I had been paying it and there is no question....thanks

Hello and welcome.

I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Is there anything in your closing documents indicating that itemizes your monthly payment to the lender?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a document that shows:

P& I....................................................$438

Homeowners insurance.......................

Flood Insurance...................................

Tax Escrow......................................... 0

Private Mortgage Insurance................

Total Monthly Payment...................... $438

I see. Thank you providing this additional information, Philp.

This indicates that there is no PMI on the loan, so the representative's statement does not correspond with your documentation. I would request from them any documentation indicating that there is PMI on the mortgage.

I should add though that the lender is not required by law to approve a short sale, so they can set and enforce their own policies as to what they will require before approving a short sale.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.