How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 30868
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have owned my property now for over 7 years. There is a small

This answer was rated:

I have owned my property now for over 7 years. There is a small piece of land about 600 sq ft that belongs to no one next to my lot. It is not on my map or my neighbors map, it's a gap. I have always used it, kept a fence on it, I have gotten permits to fill it, and use it as part of my yard. How do I go about acquiring this land to attach to my lot? I'm in the state of NC. Thank you
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

The law of adverse possession gives you the ability to acquire ownership of the property that you don't actually own/have a deed to.

Under North Carolina law, you must occupy/claim the property as yours and use the property as your own for at least 20 years (the 20 year period can be attained by your possession and the possession by your predecessors in title).

Here's a good link that outlines this issue:

Thus, your 7 years of occupation could be tacked on to your predecessor in title to meet the 20 year requirement. You would have to obtain affidavits/testimony from these people (or some other evidence) to prove that they occupied the property as well.

If you can establish this, you would have to file a petition in court and ask the court to confirm title to this property in your name.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The person who owned the property before me is deceased.


I thought it was 7 years possession?


There is no actual owner of this property. It is a gap in the property maps. No one has a title to it.

The time period is 7 years 'under color of title' - - which means you have a deed to the property in question. If you don't have a deed, the time period is 20 years.

If no one claims ownership or title to the property, you can claim title, but you will have to put together proof of 20 years of occupation. If no one rebuts your claim. you could likely pull this off since there's no one that's going to object.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I prove 20 years of occupation? the former owner is deceased, his daughter inherited some of his other property. Someone suggested she signs over to me a quit claim deed, although she does not own the property.


So, how do I claim title? and how do I present 20 years occupation? The former owner did own it more than 13 years.


Is there a form to claim title?

Yes, I believe no one will object.

Unless the daughter inherited the subject property, a deed from her is likely of no value. However, if she will give you an affidavit that says he did own/occupy the subject property AND if there's no one on the other side to object, then you could likely gain title via a court order.

There's no form. Instead, you would actually have to file a lawsuit and get a court order conferring title to you. It's likely that you'll need the assistance of a local attorney to do this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there any way to do this myself?

I live in a remote area without access to any good lawyers

I can get an affidavit from the daughter.



You can do this on your own, but there are no forms out there. You may be able to contact the NC Bar Association and ask for help drafting your petition or to possibly locate a pro bono or legal aid attorney in your area to assist you.

If you can get help drafting the petition, then you should be able to file this on your own.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

since there is no owner of this property, what is the petition I need to write called?

You would file a "petition to quiet and confirm title", which would be based on your claim if adverse possession.
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 30868
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Roger and 5 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Can you please have my question locked.

Hi - I can't lock your question, but you can click the "Help" button below as ask customer service to do that for you.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
  • Dimitry Esquire's Avatar

    Dimitry Esquire


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
  • Ray's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Texas Attorney for 29 years dealing in real estate
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.

Related Real Estate Law Questions