How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37960
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is a California Real Estate question. Im considering

This answer was rated:

This is a California Real Estate question.
I'm considering purchasing a condo for my daughter in Santa Monica. We've found a re-sale unit in a good location and are (were) prepared to put forward an offer to purchase. The listing agent now informs us that the condo can only be leased to section 8 renters.
My daughter wants to be on title and live there. How can this unit be removed from the section 8 regulations so she can make this her permanent residence?


In order remove the subject property from the Section 8 rental market, the owner must provide at least 12-month notice to the tenant, public agencies, and tp any prospective tenants, and then notice again at 6 months prior to the date when the Section 8 tenancy is to end. Govt. Code 65863.10(b)(1)(A),(D),(F)-(I).

So, the listing agent is correct, at least to the extent that the condo cannot be used until 12 months after your purchase.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Real Estate Law Questions