How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7012
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am almost 20,000 behind in my mortgage. I have been trying

Resolved Question:

I am almost 20,000 behind in my mortgage. I have been trying to get a loan modification through chase but they are not being cooperative. Every time I send in everything they turn around and want more information and this has been going on for two years. I just got a letter from an attorney who said they were hired to start foreclosure. Are there lawyers who would help with the loan modification process? Is bankruptcy the best way to go now. Help please. I have two small kids and want to keep the house
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do but play the game under the rules that the bank dictates. You can invest several thousand dollars to hire an attorney to appear in the foreclosure suit (if it is a court foreclosure and not a trustee sale). You can't win the case, but very often the bank will take a more realistic look at your and their situation and offer something that you can accept. It might take several more years and in the meantime, you will be living for free. That is an opportunity for you to save your monthly payments and in the end you will have enough money to make a down payment on another home. So stay as long as you can and don't move out until you absolutely have to.

I hope that this information is helpful. Please click on a smiley face so that I will be compensated for assisting you. If you have a follow up question please send me back a Reply without entering any rating. Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures. Thanks again for using Pearl.Com- Just Answer. Your business is appreciated.


Irwin Law and 3 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Real Estate Law Questions