Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.

Is there a law that limits the percentage for how much I can

Is there a law that limits the percentage for how much I can be charged in late fees for water? The amount I'm being charged seems to be going up by $500 per month.
Hello. Please provide more details about this situation. In particular, who is charging such fees, and is this a commercial or residential situation. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The city of phoenix is charging me late fees for water at my home.

I cannot find anything specific on how late fees for water service are calculated by Phoenix. $500 per month for a home sounds completely ridiculous. I don't believe that they can do that, but again, I can't refer you to where to find that rate is published. This is where one should be able to find information about late fees, but there is nothing there but this statement about how they are saving money:

I don't see any mention in this document or its sub-documents (see the sample billing explanation) of a fixed percentage of the bill for a late fee charge.

If you haven't complained to the Mayor and/or City Council about this kind of charge, you certainly should. I have to believe that there is a mistake being made in your case.

I hope that this information is helpful. Please click on a smiley face so that I will be
compensated for assisting you. If you have a follow up question please send me
back a Reply without entering any rating. Also, be sure to verify this
information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and
procedures. Thanks again for using Pearl.Com- Just Answer. Your business
is appreciated.