Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Real Estate Attorney

We have a 6 acre property - the home and 1 acre have lien and

We have a 6 acre property - the home and 1 acre have lien and is in foreclosure. We own the other 5 acres clear. The property cannot be subdivided. Can the lienholder force sale of the whole property and if so can we be paid for our 5 acres?

Hi, I will be happy to assist you, and it is my goal to make you a very satisfied customer! This may take a few minutes, so thanks for your patience.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I know this is a stressful situation. I hope my answer will help clear up the uncertainty about what they can and cannot do. First, they would have to foreclose on the 1 acre tract with the home on it so that they have title/record ownership of that 1 acre. Then, if they wanted to sell it, they would have to file an action for partition by sale (since it could not be physically partitioned according to your statement). Thus, through the court action to partition by sale, they could force the sale of the entire 6-acre tract. However, you would be entitled to the net sale proceeds for the 5 acres that you do own free and clear.

Please let me know if I can provide additional assistance. If not, I would be grateful if you could please leave me a positive rating. I cannot receive credit for my work without your positive rating and that is the sole means of compensation for JustAnswer experts. Thanks.