Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 29 years dealing in real estate
8534270

Made error on the name with the deed when I claimed the deed. Name on the deed needs to be

Customer Question

Made error on the name with the deed when I claimed the deed. Name on the deed needs to be something else. Did all of the work during a foreclosure auction and 4 years latter I'm trying to sell the property and I can't.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good afternoon.My sympathy here for your situation and dilemma.

RayAnswers :

You have been given the correct information here unfortunately you would have to return to court if this was a judicial foreclosure and have the court issue a corrective deed to correct the defect.

Customer:

Thank you

RayAnswers :

There is no way around this based on your facts.You may need to obtain a local lawyer to do this.I wish I could tell you otherwise.

RayAnswers :

I can get you lawyer referral to help you.

RayAnswers :

The corrective deed here would resolve the clouded title.

Customer:

I have a local lawyer asking me for $900.00. Is that reasonable?

RayAnswers :

If you used a lawyer in the foreclosure you may well have a legal malpractice cliam against whoever prepared the incorrect deed.

RayAnswers :

Yes in this situation this is a very reasonable fee.

Customer:

It was me.

Customer:

I was hoping to save some money.

RayAnswers :

There is going to be at least one court appearance and some paper here--a corrected deed signed by the court.

Customer:

I think that boat has left the dock?

RayAnswers :

Give me a second I will get you the time limits for malpractice.

Customer:

I represented myself

RayAnswers :

So then all you can do here is pay and get this fixed, otherwise you don't have clear title and cannot close the sale.I wish I could tell you otherwise.Deeds are an exacting kind of thing, they are either spot on or you need to correct them so that they are.

RayAnswers :

Again I am so sorry you are having to go through this.

RayAnswers :

Honestly $900 here is pretty cheap for such legal work.

Customer:

I'll tell my wife. Thanks.

RayAnswers :

Anything under $1,000-$1,500 is pretty reasonable for such work.

Ray, Lawyer
Experience: Texas Attorney for 29 years dealing in real estate