Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.

What is the law in Florida relating to allowing or not allowing

Customer Question

What is the law in Florida relating to allowing or not allowing BBQ's? I live on the 11th floor with a good size balcony. I want to get an electric bbq. I understand gas or charcoal bbq's are illegal on any high rises over 2 storys.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. This comes under the Florida Fire Prevention Code statute, specifically the following two statutory you can see electric grills are exempt from this prohibition:

NFPA 1:10.11.7: For other than one- and two-family dwellings, no hibachi, gas-fired grill, charcoal grill, or other similar devices used for cooking, heating, or any other purpose, shall be used or kindled on any balcony or under any overhanging portion or within 10 ft (3 m) of any structure. Listed electric ranges, grills, or similar electrical apparatus shall be permitted. (Per NFPA 1, Uniform Fire Code, Florida 2007 Edition)

NFPA 1: Storage Within Residential Buildings. Storage of cylinders within a residential building, including the basement or any storage area in a common basement storage area in multiple-family buildings and attached garages, shall be limited to cylinders each with a maximum water capacity of 2.7 lb (1.2 kg) and shall not exceed 5.4 lb (2.4 kg) aggregate water capacity for smaller cylinders per each living space unit.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!