ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed General Practice Attorney, Texas
19487448

My son is a Real estate Appraiser in Texas, with certificates for appraising properties at

Customer Question

My son is a Real estate Appraiser in Texas, with certificates for appraising properties at any value and has just been accepted by the VA Register.
He wants to incorporate. I have suggested either a LLC or S-Corp. He will likely not have employees, but will have independent contractors working for him.
Which forms packages from Legal Docs.com should he purchase to make this happen
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 3 years ago.

ScottyMacESQ :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacESQ :

Having an LLC is often preferable to an S corp, for a number of reasons, but primarily because of the fact that it's less "formal" than a corporation. He would be taxed the same, and have the same liability protections, but a corporation has more "formalities" that have to be complied with than an LLC, and if those formalities are not followed, then it's possible that a creditor could "pierce the corporate veil" and be able to get to his personal assets.

ScottyMacESQ :

So in short, if I were starting up a single member business, I would use an LLC structure, particularly in light of using contractors (having contractors means a lot of potential creditors) and operating that through an LLC would mean that his liability would be minimized as well as any potential for "piercing the veil" of the LLC.

ScottyMacESQ :

The documents that you would be looking for would be the LLC documents, plus the filing services.

ScottyMacESQ :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate this answer either a 3, 4, or 5 (good or better). Please note that I do not get any credit for this answer unless and until you rate it that way. Thank you, and again, good luck to you!

ScottyMacESQ :

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, and again, good luck to you!