Law Pro, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years extensive experience in real estate law, foreclosure, finance, and landlord tenant law.
11688690

In Massachusetts, what entity handles the foreclosure sale

In Massachusetts, what entity handles the foreclosure sale of a property after a judicial foreclosure? A judgment has been entered in my case and it has been dismissed, but I do not know if the local sheriff or a trustee handles the actual sale of the property.

Welcome to JustAnswer! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

In Massachusetts, the lenders can also go to court in what is known as a judicial foreclosure proceeding where the court must issue a final judgment of foreclosure. This process is called foreclosure by entry or action. The property is then sold as part of a publicly noticed sale by the sheriff. A complaint is filed in court along with what is known a lis pendens. A lis pendens is a recorded document that provides public notice that the property is being foreclosed upon.

You stated:

A judgment has been entered in my case and it has been dismissed, but I do not know if the local sheriff or a trustee handles the actual sale of the property.

If the judgment has been dismissed there wouldn't be a sale - because the lender must get a judgment before they can hold the public sale of the property.

Why was the judgment dismissed? Part the foreclosure settlement or what?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A judgment was entered and the case was then dismissed. This was told to me by the clerk of court. So the Sheriff handles the sale then, correct?

Yes, the sheriff handles the "sale" but only after the court issues a final judgment of foreclosure.

If that final judgment of foreclosure was dismissed - then the sheriff can't handle the sale of the property. The property reverts back to you with potentially the lien against it or maybe no lien depending upon why the judgment was dismissed.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!