Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.

What is the amount of the calculation for 2013 for dower r

What is the amount of the calculation for 2013 for dower right
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

MI is one of the few states where Dower still exists and it has been upheld by the MI Supreme Court. To calculate dower you must know the entire value of the lands seized in the estate and the amount of the dower is 1/3 of the value. The calculation should not take into account community property or marital property. MI Statute 557.214 states, "No right of curtesy or of dower shall be allowed in community property, but this act shall in no way affect the wife's right to dower in her husband's separate property." I am presuming you read MI Statutes 558.1 to 558.92. Dower is just that, it is when the surviving spouse was not provided for in the will and it is from the husband's separate property.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you have the MCL for this?

Thank you for your response, I provided you the MCL numbers above.