RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  7+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

After doing a loan modification, r u required to live in the

Customer Question

After doing a loan modification, r u required to live in the house, or can it become a rental
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. Was this loan modification through a government program or in-house, through the lender? Also, when you filled out the application for the loan, did it restrict or impose any conditions to it being used as a primary residence?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not applied for loan modification yet. I had a mortgage through Bank of America, but they just sold my loan to another bank. It is called HAMP program, it s a government program but everything is done through my bank.
Thank you for the additional information. No, you may not be required to live in the home, as the requirements for the HAMP program have expanded. In an effort to continue to provide meaningful solutions to the housing crisis, effective June 1, 2012, the Obama Administration expanded the population of homeowners that may be eligible for the Home Affordable Modification Program to include:

Homeowners who are applying for a modification on a home that is not their primary residence, but the property is currently rented or the homeowner intends to rent it.

Homeowners who previously did not qualify for HAMP because their debt-to-income ratio was 31% or lower.

Homeowners who previously received a HAMP trial period plan, but defaulted in their trial payments.

Homeowners who previously received a HAMP permanent modification, but defaulted in their payments, therefore losing good standing.

As such, when you apply for the program through BOA you will likely be asked to disclose the status of the home and if you intend to occupy it as your primary residence or if it is a rental Any terms, conditions or restrictions, would clearly need to be stated in the modification, that you agree to.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience: 7+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases