Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.

I work for a company that has apartments to live in. I was

I work for a company that has apartments to live in. I was asked to transfer to another state. I received a call from a competitor. They are running a background check that should be back today or tomorrow. I will go to work for them. Problem is the movers,RD and new RD are calling as of yesterday. We are packed to go, but want to stay until at least Friday from the other offer. What are our rights as to length we can stay in apt? Any advice?

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Once you have lived in this apartment, you become a legal tenant. As such, the owners, whether this is tied to your employment or not, cannot simply throw you out. The law does not allow the landlord to forcibly evict a tenant without obtaining an eviction order from a court. What that means is that if you don't move out, the owner cannot simply change the locks or throw your things out. Rather, what would have to do is to first deliver a 10-Day Notice to quit...which basically says you have 10 days to leave or face eviction. But, if you still haven't left, the owner must file a petition with the court for an eviction order. Depending upon the court's docket, it can take anywhere from about 15 days to a couple of months to get a hearing. Only when a judge has issued the eviction order can the landlord have you evicted. So...botXXXXX XXXXXne is that you can easily stay until Friday! :)

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: