Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

Other than legally, what is the customary amount the HOA should

Other than legally, what is the customary amount the HOA should keep in reserves? If they are in excess of 3 to 1 ratio, do they still feel justified to ask for an increase in assessments?
Thank you for your question.

From the numbers you provided, if annual expenses were $289,000 and their reserves are in the $700K range, they are not above the 3 times the amount of their expenses range yet. The customary amount they will hold in reserve is 2 to 3 times their annual expenses and that is prudent in case for some reason one year they cannot pay annual expenses they have the money available to do so and also have money to make any major capital repair that is required.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.